/ Published August 16, 2019
Greetings and thank you for your interest in becoming an AFJROTC Instructor! Please read all of this thoroughly BEFORE you start an application.
Minimum application requirements:
NOTE: Any waiver requests must be resolved BEFORE an online application is attempted. Email HQ-InstructorMgmt@afjrotc.com with any waiver requests/questions.
1) Must be retired from a component of the US Air Force.
2) Have published retirement orders. (Note: Active duty retirees only can apply with a retirement application approval message from AFPC, but the application cannot be approved until the actual order is published and made part of the application)
3) Hold a retired grade of E6 to E9 or O4 to O6. (Waivers are possible if interested in a hard to fill location)
4) Be retiring no farther than 9 months out or be retired no longer than 5 years. (Waivers for those retired longer than 5 years are possible, depending on the location of interest)
5) Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (major/minor is not relevant). Note: A waiver agreement (applicant agrees to complete the degree within a specified timeframe) may be executed for those who are seeking employment at hard-to-fill locations.
6) Have a commercial e-mail address (may not use .mil email addresses).
7) Be sure that you have read and understand ALL of the following information.
If you meet the minimum requirements stated above, the following information lists the items you will need to complete your application.
• RETIREMENT ORDERS: We must have a copy of your Retirement Orders!
• Active Duty: We will accept a copy of the on-line retirement application APPROVAL from AFPC in lieu of the retirement orders until receipt of actual orders. However, we cannot approve your application until we receive the actual retirement orders.
• ANG/AFRES: You must have the actual retirement orders in hand prior to beginning your application. Sorry, there are no exceptions or workarounds to this.
• GRAY AREA RETIREES (NATIONAL GUARD/RESERVE MEMBERS): You must include a Points Summary showing verification of at least 20 satisfactory service years. You can request this via HQ ARPC.
• RETIRED GRADE: All Air Force Junior ROTC instructors will wear, and will be addressed as, the grade they are officially retired as, which may not be the highest grade held for officers who retired prior to completing mandatory time in grade. For officers, the retirement orders will show both the retired grade and highest grade held. If there is a conflict between the official retirement orders and what an applicant believes he/she is authorized to wear, it is the applicant’s responsibility to contact AFPC/ARPC/NGB to get their retirement orders updated, or to obtain an official clarifying document which fully explains the situation.
• DEROGATORY INFORMATION: If you have any derogatory information in your past you must disclose it. Disclosing it does not necessarily disqualify you, it is about the actual information. However, failing to report any derogatory information can certainly disqualify you. You must fully explain any derogatory information and include supporting documents with your application package. Any and all negative information needs to be disclosed at this time and explained. Failure to do so could result in your application being permanently withdrawn. (NOTE: Automatic disqualification may stem from a civilian felony conviction, a military courts-martial conviction, or military non-judicial punishment records (or civil convictions) involving a violent act, a threatening act, domestic violence, child or spouse abuse, sexual abuse or sexual-related offenses (physical or verbal), pornography, larceny (theft), forgery, or abuse of rank/position.) Please be advised that all applicants will be screened through an Air Force Legal Office for previous judicial/non-judicial punishment records.
• PHOTO: A current full length photograph showing head to toe, in short sleeve or long sleeve blues shirt and pants. No Coat/Jacket. This does not need to be professional photo, but be sure it is in jpeg or PDF format only. No faxed photos please. We must to be able to clearly see that you are within Air Force Dress and Appearance standards since all AFJROTC instructors wear the blue uniform daily.
• REFERENCES: Three references with daytime contact information (complete phone numbers) are required to complete your application. One reference should be your most recent/current supervisor. None of the references should be related to you in any way. A standardized set of questions will be used when references are contacted. The completion/approval of your application is contingent upon reaching all references. Please note: the JRI staff will not attempt to find alternate contact information so the burden to provide quality contact information is placed on the applicant. You may include the references in an email or within a word document.
• COLLEGE DEGREE TRANSCRIPTS: Include a copy of the diploma or transcripts reflecting the degree(s) you were awarded from an accredited institution. You must have a minimum of a completed/awarded Bachelor’s degree. (Location-specific waivers are possible for those enlisted applicants who are near a Bachelor's degree, but have not yet completed. An agreement to complete the degree within a specified timeframe will be required.)
• PERFORMANCE REPORTS: The last 10 Performance Reports (not to include any LOEs). If you do not have copies of your performance reports, retirement orders, and/or DD Form 214, you may request them from: http://www.archives.gov/veterans
• ANG members only: If your performance reports are not available, a minimum of three current letters of recommendation are required from your commanders, supervisors, and/or First Sergeants attesting to your quality of military service, professionalism, integrity and leadership ability.
• Occupational Screening Questionnaire: You will need to fill out, sign and submit an AFJROTC Occupational Screening Questionnaire. If you have any condition that may limit you from fully performing AFJROTC instructor duties, you will need a note from your Physician explaining it all.
The following items will be required when by Air Force Junior ROTC Instructor Management after you submit an online application:
INTERVIEW WORKSHEET: A Senior Aerospace Science Instructor (SASI) interview is required with your package. This interview is from an AFJROTC SASI at a high school in your area. This interview helps determine if you are a good fit for Air Force Junior ROTC instructor duty. The interview form is included as part of the final process of your application. To find the nearest Air Force Junior ROTC unit, go to https://holmcenter.com/locator/. You will see a map with “pins” where all the units are located. Just scroll down the page and you will see the listing with contact numbers. Please contact them to set up your interview. The SASI will have the worksheets that are needed (AFJROTC Form 102 and Weight and Body Fat Measurement Worksheet) and will send the completed copies to our office. If they choose to give you copies you may send it to us as well.
BODY FAT ASSESSMENT (Not BMI): Per AFJROTCI 36-2010, members must meet weight and body fat standards. We use the long-standing DoD standards for Air Force Junior ROTC. Air Force PT Test results are not accepted. You will be weighed and measured during your Interview with a current Senior Aerospace Science Instructor. If you are over your maximum weight but under the calculated maximum allowable body fat (males 26% and females 36%) you are still eligible to apply. If you are over your maximum body fat, your application will not be processed.
You must have an APPROVED instructor application on file at HQ Air Force Junior ROTC before you are authorized to be nominated for any current positions. Please do not send your nominations prior to being approved. Please do not contact any schools regarding vacant positions until you are approved and nominated by our office. Otherwise, you may be disqualified from the program.
If you are confident that you have everything and you are ready to begin an application, CLICK HERE to start your Instructor Application
60 West Maxwell Blvd., Bldg. 835
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112