Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, Maxwell AFB, AL
/ Published January 08, 2017
AFROTC was established with passage of the National Defense Act of 1916. The first Air Force ROTC units were established between 1920 and 1923 at the University of California at Berkeley, Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Illinois, the University of Washington, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College.
After World War II, Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, chief of staff of the War Department, signed General Order No. 124, establishing Air ROTC units at 77 colleges and universities throughout the nation. Eligible Air Force enlisted men and women pursuing a college degree who were interested in becoming commissioned officers were given that opportunity through competition in the Air Force ROTC Airman Scholarship and Commissioning Program, established in 1973.
In 1978, Air Training Command assumed responsibility for Air Force ROTC programs. On July 1, 1993, Air Training Command merged with Air University to form Air Education and Training Command. Air University became a direct reporting unit under Air Education and Training Command and Air Force ROTC realigned under Air University.
In February 1997, Air Force ROTC and Officer Training School merged under the newly created parent organization, Headquarters Air Force Officer and Accession Training School. This restructuring placed oversight for three-quarters of Air Force officer production under one command and facilitated the sharing of manpower and expertise with minimum effect on the day-to-day operations of either organization. In June 2008, Headquarters AFOATS was redesignated as the Jeanne M. Holm Center for Officer Accessions and Citizen Development.
60 West Maxwell Blvd, Bldg 835
Maxwell AFB, AL, 36112