/ Published July 26, 2018
LEADING A DISCUSSION WITH YOUR AIRMEN ON
(Command Teams: Use this template to customize your discussion)
Download the template HERE
BACKGROUND INFORMATION FOR COMMAND TEAM MEMBERS:
Introduction – As a member of the Profession of Arms, you’re responsible for promoting an understanding and an appreciation of Air Force culture. You must demonstrate, inspire, and develop in others an internalized understanding of Air Force values and standards. Fulfilling these responsibilities is an important part of your contribution to the Air Force mission and that’s why we have Core Values. In this module, we’ll take a look at our Core Values and how they impact mission effectiveness.
Learning Objectives –
1. Understand how the Core Values provide a moral framework for military activities
2. Realize the expectations the Core Values place on Airmen.
3. Understand the impact Core Values have on our mission.
Main Points –
1. Integrity First
2. Service Before Self
3. Excellence in All We Do
1. VIDEO: PACE Heritage Today Video Series - “Core Values” (2015)
2. PDF: America’s Air Force, A Profession of Arms, (2015) p. 5 – 8
Additional resources / links –
1. AF Handbook, focus on section 6D: Air Force Handbook 1
2. Core Values search on the Profession of Arms Center of Excellence website
THINGS FOR COMMAND TEAM MEMBERS TO CONSIDER AHEAD OF TIME:
• To increase awareness of the importance of Core Values and its impact of Airman, organizations, and the Air Force
• To increase communication among command teams and their Airmen to facilitate trust and team building.
Questions for Command Teams to discuss:
• Why do you think this conversation is important?
• What do you want Airmen to walk away from this discussion with?
• What group will you be discussing this topic with (i.e., First-Term Airmen, CGOs, NCOs/SNCOs, civilians, supervisors, flight commanders)?
• What forum will you be discussing this in (i.e. as part of a staff meeting, at a stand-alone event, at a commander’s call, during a brown-bag lunch session)?
• Who will lead the discussion? Which Command Team members have a role?
LEADING THE DISCUSSION:
· Introduction – What we’re going to talk about today and why
· Goal – to highlight the importance of virtues and character strengths
· Timeframe – communicate how much time this is expected to take
· Part I – Read the Air Force Blue Book-Core Values section. Watch Core Values video.
· Part II – Discussion
o 1: How would you describe the “Integrity” Core Value?
o 2: How would you describe the “Service Before Self” Core Value?
o 3: How would you describe the “Excellence in All We Do” Core Value?
o 4: Of the Core Values, what is the most important value to you? Why?
o 5: What tenet of the Core Values do you think best supports our profession? Why?
· Part III – What do you want your Airmen to walk away with? Do you want to challenge them to take action or change their behavior or step out of their comfort zone as a result of this lesson?