/ Published August 07, 2018
LEADING A DISCUSSION WITH AIRMEN ON "FULL RANGE LEADERSHIP"
Download the template HERE
BACKGROUND INFORMATION FOR COMMAND TEAM MEMBERS:
Introduction / Purpose / Rationale - As we discuss the concept of leadership, all Airmen can quickly apply an intuitive leadership model that was developed 40 years ago – the full range leadership model. These concepts are fairly basic and tie to most leadership theories of the past from Great Man theory to Situational Leadership theories. Understanding a model of leadership provides a foundation for a leader’s growth or at least a starting position. Transformational and transactional leadership traces roots back to the seminal leadership research of MacGregor Burns (1978) and Bernard Bass (1985).
Learning Objectives –
• Distinguish differences between transformational and transactional leadership components
• Interpret transformational and transactional leadership behaviors within military organizational settings
Main Points –
• Know and be able to explain the differences between transformational and transactional leader components
• Understand and be able to relate transformational and transactional behaviors as they influence followers and mission effectiveness within military settings
Learning Resources –
• AU-26, Developing Your Full Range of Leadership (2018), “Virtues and Character Strengths,” pp. 11-39, AU-26 pdf
• Lt Gen Kwast (AETC/CC) video “The Power of Purpose” (1:44 min)
Additional resources – Additional sections in AU-26 cover leading with humanity, character strengths, and authentic leadership? The website (viacharacter.org) has multiple handouts and film exercises on the 24 character strengths supporting transformational leadership behaviors. Lastly, contact the OPR for lunch-and-learn sessions or in-house workshops.
THINGS FOR COMMAND TEAM MEMBERS TO CONSIDER AHEAD OF TIME:
o Highlight the importance of adaptable leadership behaviors within organizations.
o To increase two-way communication among command teams and their Airmen to facilitate trust and team building.
Questions for Command Teams to discuss:
o Why do you think this conversation is important?
o What do you want Airmen to walk away from this discussion with?
o What group will you be discussing this topic with (i.e., First-Term Airmen, CGOs, NCOs/SNCOs, civilians, supervisors, flight commanders)?
o What forum will you be discussing this in (i.e. as part of a staff meeting, at a stand-alone event, at a commander’s call, during a brown-bag lunch session)?
o Who will lead the discussion? Which Command Team members have a role?
LEADING THE DISCUSSION:
· Introduction: What we’re going to talk about today and why
· Goal: Highlight the importance of a full range leadership approach
· Timeframe: 20 min.
· Part I – Complete assigned reading. Watch Gen Kwast’s video.
· Part II – Discussion
o 1: What typical challenges are found in most organizations? Military?
o 2: Why should leaders understand the power of transformational and transactional behaviors?
o 3: Why are character strengths important to leadership development?
o 4: What did you learn from your reading assignment?
o 5: How did Gen Kwast’s video relate to leadership behaviors? How can one apply these behaviors within organizations?
· Part III – What do you want your Airmen to walk away with? Do you want to challenge them to take action or change their behavior or step out of their comfort zone as a result of this lesson?
Questions for thought
• What is a full range of leadership approach?
• What is transformational leadership?
• What is transactional leadership?
• What is laissez-faire leadership?
• Which style would be most effective for developing Airmen into leaders? Explain.
Questions for discussion
• Why are transformational behaviors important to leaders? Followers? Explain.
• When a leader incorporates transactional behaviors, how does this impact followers? Share an example.