Col. Kevin R. Lee is the Commandant, Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. The school educates more than 4,200 Air Force officers, civilians and international officers annually. SOS prepares students to think critically, communicate effectively, collaborate and lead in the joint environment. SOS serves as the basic developmental education touchpoint in a student’s continuum of education as they prepare to serve as senior leaders.
Col. Lee graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 2000 and attended pilot training at Whiting Field, Fla., and Corpus Christ, Naval Air Station, Texas. His first assignment was to Moody AFB, Ga. Flying the HC-130P “King,” he upgraded to instructor pilot and served in many positions including group executive officer. His next assignment was to Cannon, AFB, N.M., where he flew the MC-130W “Combat Spear,” the MC-130W “Dragon Spear” and the AC-130W “Stinger II.” From 2012 to 2014, he served on staff at Headquarters, United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Following this assignment, he went to Kirtland AFB, N.M., and commanded the 58th Training Squadron. From July 2018 to June 2021, he was the branch chief for Future Operations-West Africa, USAFRICOM, Stuttgart, Germany. He has also served as the division chief, Operational Planning and Strategy at Headquarters, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas.
A command pilot with over 3,200 hours in the T-34, T-44, C-130E/H, HC-130P/N/J and MC-130P/W/J, Col. Lee has had numerous deployments to Uzbekistan, Djibouti, Ecuador, Afghanistan, Qatar, Iraq, Turkey and Niger in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, U.S. Southern Command counter-drug operations, Iraqi Freedom, Inverted Light, Galactic Horizon, Nomad Shadow, Juniper Shield, Juniper Micron and Atlantic Resolve.
Prior to his current assignment, he served as commander, 409th Air Expeditionary Group, Air Base 201, Agadez, Niger.
2000 Bachelor of Science, Astronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2005 Master of Arts, National Security Studies, American Military University, Va.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Master of Science, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2019 Masters of Science, Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 2000-June 2001, Pilot Training, Whiting Field Naval Air Station, Fla.
2. June 2001-February 2002, Pilot Training, Corpus Christ NAS, Texas
3. February 2002-August 2002, Initial C-130 Training, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
4. August 2002-February 2003, Initial HC-130P Training, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. February 2003-February 2006, Pilot/Tactics Officer/Chief, Squadron Training, 71st Rescue Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
6. February 2006-June 2008, Instructor Pilot/Group Executive Officer, 347th Rescue Group, Moody AFB, Ga.
7. June 2008-October 2009, Instructor Pilot/Chief, Student Training Flight, 73rd Special Operations Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
8. October 2009-June 2011, Evaluator Pilot/Chief, Standardization and Evaluation, 551st SOS, Cannon AFB, N.M.
9. June 2011-June 2012, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2012-June 2014, Functional Area Manager/Program Monitor, Headquarters, United States Air Forces in Europe, Directorate of Training and Readiness, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
11. June 2014-May 2015, Chief of Safety, 58th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. May 2015-April 2016, Inspector General, 58th SOW, Kirtland AFB, NM
13. April 2016-February 2017, Operations Officer, 58th Training Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
14. February 2017-June 2018, Commander, 58th TRS, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
15. July 2018-July 2019, Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk Naval Annex, Va.
16. July 2018-June 2021, Branch Chief, Future Operations, West Africa, United States Africa Command, Germany
17. June 2021-May 2022, Division Chief, Operational Planning and Strategy, Air Education and Training Command Headquarters, Randolph AFB, Texas
18. May 2022-May 2023, Commander, 409th Air Expeditionary Group, Niger
19. July 2023-present, Commandant, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2018-June 2021, Branch Chief, Future Operations, West Africa, United States Africa Command, Germany, as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,200
Aircraft Flown: T-34C, T-44, C-130E, HC-130P/N/J and MC-130P/W/J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
France Médaille de la Défense Nationale - Armée de l’air (National Defense Medal – Air Force)
Top Third, Squadron Officer School
Air Force Special Operations Command Pilot of the Year, 2009
Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College
Outstanding Graduate, Air War College (in correspondence)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 2000
First Lieutenant June 1, 2002
Captain, June 2, 2004
Major, June 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel, June 1, 2015
Colonel, June 1, 2021
(Current as of July 2023)