Appointments are typically offered Monday–Friday during standard duty hours and are open to all officer, enlisted, and civilian personnel enrolled in a resident Air University school or center. We welcome you to make an appointment at any stage of your process, whether you’re brainstorming ideas or revising a final draft or project.
Drop-in hours are ideal for quick questions or a brief review of a section of a paper—no appointment needed!
Through 16 Dec: Tuesdays 0900-1100, Wednesdays 1300-1500, and Thursdays 1300-1500 in person in the Library building (1405), TLC Café (second floor)
Dialogue: You'll discuss your assignment with your tutor.
Feedback: Your tutor will respond to your writing and address your concerns or questions.
Strategies & tools: Your tutor will provide resources, as needed, that you can use now and in your future writing.
NO direct editing: Our mission is to strengthen your skills as a writer and communicator, so we will not edit or proofread your paper for you.
1. Individual Appointments - up to 1 appointment per week
2. Group Appointments - made by request; contact Meg Varney, Lead Writing Specialist, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. International & ESL Student Support - guidance on the expectations of U.S. academic writing and/or support for English-language skills (e.g. speaking, reading, writing, grammar, & vocabulary)
4. Verbal & Visual Communication Skills - direction, hands-on practice, and feedback available by request
Visit the Writing Lab’s SharePoint (.edu account required) to access resources for creating effective essay structures, thesis statements, paragraphs, analysis, citations, and more. Because your .edu account is required, sign in to an M365 product (e.g., Outlook, Office, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint) in your browser before clicking the SharePoint link above. If you cannot sign in to your .edu account in your browser, you can submit an access request after clicking the SharePoint link.
We offer faculty consultations to support writing instruction and assessment, including how to…
- draft a syllabus
- integrate an inclusive writing process in your course schedule
- create clear prompts and other writing assignments
- scaffold writing assignments
- select methods of assessment
- craft rubrics for writing assignments
- assess writing efficiently
- support international students
Contact Meg Varney, Lead Writing Specialist, at email@example.com to arrange a consultation.
Volunteer faculty tutors are essential to the mission of the Writing Lab, and tutoring is a rewarding way to fulfill AU’s faculty service expectations. We welcome faculty who are strong instructors of writing from across the disciplines and who understand the dialogic and collaborative nature of writing tutoring. If you haven’t tutored before but would like to start, training is available. To learn more or to volunteer, contact Meg Varney, Lead Writing Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Air University Teaching & Learning Center
600 Chennault Circle
Building 1405, 2nd Floor of AU Library
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112