Supporting excellence for written, verbal, and visual communication skills
Meet with a Coach
The Comm Lab supports all officer, enlisted, and civilian personnel enrolled in resident Air University schools and centers.
- Writing: use our online system to schedule up to 1 individual meeting per week, up to 60 days in advance
- Verbal: email AUTLC@us.af.mil to request support for delivering persuasive presentations and participating in class discussions
- Visual: email AUTLC@us.af.mil to request support for creating engaging slides, posters, and essay figures & charts
Drop-in Hours (first come, first served; updated weekly)
No appointment needed! Drop-in hours are ideal for quick questions or a brief review of part of an assignment.
- 20–24 Nov (Thanksgiving week)
- Wednesday, 29 Nov
- 0900-1100 in-person
- 1400-1600 in-person
- Thursday, 30 Nov
Working on a collaborative project? Email AUTLC@us.af.mil to request a group appointment.
International Student & English-Language Support
Our coaches can guide you in your transition to U.S. academic writing and speaking. We also offer language support for grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and more. Email AUTLC@us.af.mil to request an appointment.
Visit the Comm Lab SharePoint (.edu account required) to access recordings and resources from previous workshops on writing clearly and concisely, research writing, timed writing, citations, and more.
What to Expect in Coaching Sessions
Dialogue: You'll discuss your work with a coach.
Feedback: Your coach will offer individualized feedback and address your concerns or questions.
Strategies and tools: Your coach will provide resources, as needed, that you can use now and in the future.
No direct editing: We don’t do the work for you—instead, we’ll help you strengthen your skills as an effective communicator.
Enhance your ability to...
- tackle prompts and brainstorm
- outline a paper or project
- craft a thesis statement
- develop introductions, body paragraphs, and conclusions
- build arguments and analysis
- integrate and document sources
- improve the flow of ideas
- invigorate your writing style
- revise and proofread strategically
- adopt best practices for visual projects and data visualization
- deliver presentations and briefings effectively and persuasively