Public & Private Schools

  • Published


In the U.S., children attend schools that they are zoned for. School zoning means that where your residence is located will determine the school your children will attend. It is HIGHLY recommended that, prior to signing a lease, you do your research on Public School District zoning in Montgomery County, Pike Road, Autauga County (if living in Prattville), and Elmore County (if living in Millbrook, Wetumpka, Deatsville, or Elmore).

Zones may change from year to year, and where your country mate lived last year may not zone your children for the same schools while you are here. Again, be cautious of where you choose your residence; once you sign a lease, your child must attend the school they are zoned for; you can not ask to have them transferred to other schools. You may also be locked into your lease for one-year after you sign, so canceling the lease and moving to a different area will not be an option.

GreatSchools, SchoolDigger, and Public School Review are good sources to find local school ratings.

Magnet Programs and Private Schools

Most schools in the area are public schools and are free to attend. The only option you will have for your children to attend a school outside of their zone, is to apply to attend a Magnet Program or Private School.

Magnet Programs are a part of the public school system and are free to attend and provide a specialized curriculum. You must apply to these schools and program acceptance is extremely selective. The application window usually closes early in the spring; for more information please visit the MPS Magnet website.

Private Schools are also an option for your children; however, tuition can be very expensive. You can search the internet for more information on Private Schools in the area; a good source is to use the GreatSchools website.

Registration Documentation

When registering children for school, the following documents are generally required, but check with your child's school for a complete list:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Identity document for both child and parent (passport and visa)
  • Alabama Immunization Record
  • Proof of residence in the U.S. (usually a utility bill with your residence address listed)
  • Invitational Travel Order
  • Academic Record (with English Translation) showing the last completed grade level and all courses taken  
  • Lease with residence address

Maxwell AFB School Liaison Officer

  • Published

Maxwell AFB has a School Liaison Officer (SLO) who works with the local school districts to advocate for military families. IMS should feel free to contact the SLO with any questions regarding schools in the local area.  To email the SLO, send message to 



International Officer School Patch
120 S. Mitchell Street
Maxwell AFB, AL  36112