Maxwell AFB and River Region Resources


Collapse All Expand All

A: There are several resources that will be issued to you upon your arrival. If you would like to get ahead here are the books and the sections that can get you started.


How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading

by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren

Suggested Reading: Ch1-2; Ch4, Ch7, and Ch11


Break-Through Rapid Reading

By Peter Kump

Suggested Reading: Ch18, Ch19, Ch20, and Ch21


A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 8th Edition

by Kate L. Turabian

Suggested Reading: Ch 4-7, Ch 9-12


The Craft of Research, 4th Edition

by Wayne C. Booth, et al

Suggested Reading: Ch 7-8, Ch 10, Ch 13, and Ch 16

A: An ACSC Concentration provides students the opportunity to spend their time at ACSC focusing on a specific area of study. Current concentrations at ACSC include:

- Schriever Space Scholars (SSS)

- School of Advanced Nuclear Deterrence (SAND)

- Political Affairs Specialists (PAS)

- Joint All Domain Strategist (JADS)


Each concentration focuses the student’s educational experience around the targeted subject matter. This can vary between just dedicated electives to a full curriculum entirely dedicated to the material.


Selection into SANDs and PAS comes directly by the Central Selection Board.  Inbound students may apply for SSS and JADS through their application process provided in the academics tab of the ACSC website.


Blue Horizon’s is not considered an ACSC Concentration. It is a CSAF-sponsored program, but it does select members from the inbound ACSC student roster by an invitation to apply.

A: The Academic Calendar for each year is finalized by ACSC Leadership near the May-June timeframe. Once finalized the Academic Calendar communicates which core courses will be conducted in the different terms, key ACSC events, breaks, and holidays/family days. ACSC is a unit within AETC and honors all US National Holidays and AETC Family Days.

A: Once the Academic Calendar is finalized there are minimal changes. On a rare occasion the school may have to adjust the schedule to accommodate the mission, but only duty days will be affected (to include non-contact duty days).

A: Individual course day schedules are generally published at the start of each term for the entire term. Every effort is made to maintain the published schedule, but some events require the school to modify dates or times of events. Changes can be driven by weather events, changes to outside speaker schedules, or other similar circumstances. When changes occur, they are communicated through the Student Calendar or STUS leadership (if short-notice). Individual elective instructors and concentration leads may modify their own program’s schedules as well due to speaking engagements.

A: The Academic Calendar and student schedule will be published on the M365 Teams ATO calendar.

A:  CANVAS is ACSC’s registration and grade management system. It is the system that houses all of the courses you are enrolled in. During the academic preparation week you will receive a log-in. The system can be accessed through any device that is internet or WIFI capable.

A: Students are expected to check the student schedule regularly (daily is recommended).  It is the students responsibility to check and know the official schedule and where to be and when. The student schedule is available through M365 and accessible on mobile devices.

Student Life

Collapse All Expand All

A: While attending ACSC all students are assigned to a student squadron. The Student Squadron Commanders, for all Active Duty Air Force personnel, are responsible for submitting ADPs and Talent Marketplace comments. Students can arrive to ACSC with an ADP and comments from a previous commander (highly encouraged). Typically comments are crafted as a result of one-on-one sessions with the student, comments from previous commanders, and discussions with the assignment team and career field managers.

For all Sister Service, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve, Civilians, and International Officers your follow-on assignments are processed by your respective Service, home station, headquarters, or nation.

Throughout the year, many opportunities are made available for career enhancement. This includes Squadron Commander Boards, DET/CC and DO opportunities, Aide-De-Camps, USAFA Instructor, Advanced Academic Degrees, and more. You will receive notification of these opportunities through MyPers and/or the STUS leadership team. Submissions will be routed through the STUS/CC. If a senior rater is required, the ACSC/CC will submit the packages.

A: Every year ACSC receives requests from current students to stay on as faculty.  If a student wishes to stay at ACSC and instruct or fill a staff position their first step is to discuss this with their DO and STUS/CC.  After this the student should discuss this option with their assignment team to ensure release for instructor duty is given prior to submitting assignment preferences. 

There are also assignment opportunities outside of ACSC both at Maxwell and Gunter. Again students should work with their assignments teams and STUS/CCs to ensure preferences and comments match during the applicable assignment window.

A:The STUS/DOs work directly with the MPF to execute student assignments for all Active Duty Air Force students.  STUS/DOs will disseminate information on the necessary actions to students throughout the year to ensure a smooth and efficient process.  Students will be matched to assignments as part of the AFPC Summer VML Cycle and can generally expect to receive assignment notifications between January through March.

A:  Each of the major ASG programs (SAMS, SAW, and SAASS) send representatives to ACSC to present their individual programs and application requirements. These visits occur during the fall, prior to application deadlines.  Each ASG has unique selection requirements, which will be clearly presented.  Selections are generally announced in December.

A: The Student Squadron’s are responsible for handling all actions regarding student attendance or absences such as long term absences for medical issues, parental leave, or TDYs.  Students should always contact their STUS/DO first.  

A: The short answer is yes, you can graduate on time.  The STUS team works with each student to develop a plan that will help them make up all course requirements during absences, including parental leave.  These plans will be coordinated with the course instructors, department chairs, and Dean of Students.  There are also options to extend the academics into the following summer, provided there is flexibility with the follow-on assignment.

A: The Student Squadron Commanders (STUS/CCs) will determine your squadron and seminar assignments based on in-bound student demographics.  Because of frequent and late changes to the list of students, STUS/CCs will inform all students during main body inprocessing of their assignment.  Certain concentrations are unique to a particular squadron.

Students will not be able to request a particular squadron since ACSC leadership attempts to distribute students so that each student gets to experience a variety of view points and learn from the experience of others within their class.

Students in both squadrons are afforded the same leadership opportunities, are able to apply for electives equally, and are treated as a single student body by the academic instructors and other staff at ACSC.

A: For Department of the Air Force students, ACSC does conduct monthly Physical Fitness Assessments.  You will need to schedule your PFA with your STUS/DO.


For Navy, Marine, and Army students, your senior service representative will schedule your service specific tests and de-conflict them with the student schedule.

A: Gunter Annex falls under the authority of the 42d ABW and is approximately 15 minutes away. 

A: Gunter Annex offers additional housing options for students.  It also hosts a separate Child Development Center, School Age Center, and Youth Programs.  Additional Gunter services include:

  • Bowling Center
  • Commissary
  • Gas Station/Shoppette
  • Barber Shop
  • Fitness Center

Important Note: Signing up for child care on Gunter is a separate step from signing up for care on Maxwell.  If you wish to be considered for spots at both locations you must apply separately to both centers.


Collapse All Expand All

A: The role of ISC is twofold: 1) fill critical student leadership positions and 2) act as the ADVON team for the main body of students.  ISC is made up of approximately 25% of the Active Duty Department of the Air Force student population and they will in-process prior to the main student body.   Students who hold these leadership positions are vital players in establishing the culture, morale, and developmental opportunities for their class at ACSC.  Calls for volunteers will go out in January 2022.

A: Once the inbound class roster is finalized in January, ACSC will create Microsoft M365 accounts for all inbound students.  Instructions for account setup will accompany an email to your official .mil email around this time.  After your M365 account is setup, Microsoft Teams and your associated "" email will be the primary method of communication between you and the Student Squadron team. 

A) Yes!  One of the many goals of ACSC is to maximize the in-residence student experience.  ACSC leadership has developed detailed policies, protocols, and procedures to ensure ACSC is a safe learning/work environment for all ACSC students, faculty, and staff.  All policies, protocols, and procedures are under constant review to ensure changes are made when necessary.

A: Students should make every attempt to receive household goods outside of scheduled school activities.  Where that is not possible the student must request permission to be absent from the STUS/DO as early as possible in order to mitigate impacts to the student and the school.


A: Yes, you can live on base.

NOTE:  On base housing at Maxwell is privatized and quarters are not guaranteed for any Military or Civilian student. 

Students interested in living on installation should visit for more information.  To apply for housing please visit and register to complete the application process.

Wait lists can be long so apply early if you would like to live on base!

A: Maxwell and Gunter utilize the (MCC) website for care requests.  All requests are managed through this site and separate requests are required for each program, dependent, and base.

Example: A student who lives on Gunter want their two children to receive care at the CDC but is willing to use either Gunter or Maxwell CDCs must submit 4 total requests in the MCC website.

MCC Link:



Collapse All Expand All

A: Maxwell Elementary and Middle School will open applications to their Pilot Program for the 2022-2023 school year on December 1st at 0630 CST.   The 2022-2023 school year will be the second year of a four year Pilot Program that allows children of Active Duty military members who live off the installation to attend our on base DoDEA School.

Here’s how to enroll:

1.       The application portal opens Dec. 1 at 6:30 a.m. CST and remains open throughout the pilot program.

2.       Open the application on a personal computer or personal wireless device due to security limitations with Department of Defense computers.

3.       Fill out an application for each student you want to enroll.

To be eligible for the pilot program, authorized by the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act, students must be a dependent of a full-time, active duty service member with orders to Maxwell Air Force Base or Gunter Annex. 

The priorities for student applicants under the pilot program are:
1.  Students who were enrolled at Maxwell Elementary and Middle School the previous school year.

2.  Siblings of students enrolled under the pilot program.

3.  All other applicants.

Parents can apply prior to their arrival at Maxwell-Gunter.

Where two or more students qualify in the same category and grade, the student who submitted the first application will be accepted.

The application will remain open, and administrators will periodically review applications as school enrollment changes. Administrators will contact parents directly if their child was selected for the program. See the school’s webpage for specific dates of the application review process.

Parents can learn more about Maxwell Elementary Middle School and the pilot program at For information on local school programs and how to contact the School Liaison Office, visit

**Parents must enroll their children in local schools they’re eligible for, as this application does not guarantee a slot.**

42 ABW School Liaison is:

Robert Richert


Comm: 334-953-6430

IO’s who wish to have children attend the DoD School must comply with the following requirements.  The lodging dorms assigned to individuals are not considered base housing for enrollment purposes. For additional questions contact International Officer School at (334) 953-3799.

1) Foreign officer must show military orders assigning them to the location in the US.

2) Child must be listed on orders (or have an affidavit stating that they are authorized to travel to the US with the officer).

3) Show the child's passport with visa.

4) Provide any previous school record showing current grade - must be translated to English.  If no previous grade, the child will be enrolled where they are age appropriate.

5) Show current lease with on base housing listing the child as authorized resident.

Children will be enrollment coded as 1MB.

A: By the first day of school, usually the first or second week of August, depending on school and district.  Contact the schools early as they get very busy just before school start dates dealing with both local and inbound students every year.

Important Note: Links to Alabama Schools work best when viewed from a desktop computer as some are not mobile compatible

A: There are 4 main school districts that serve the student population of ACSC.  Because the borders of each district are very close to areas students may choose to live it is very important that you verify which district your residence is assigned to. (for Montgomery County Public Schools only)

A: Required Items:

1) 2 forms of proof of residence (see school specific requirements)

2) Parents Picture ID

3) Child’s Birth Certificate

4) Child's past report card/withdrawal form/Transcripts

5) Alabama Immunization Record

6) Custody Papers (If applicable)

A: Most districts require a primary and secondary proof of residence.  Primary proof consists of utility bills within the last 30 days and lease/mortgage/closing documents.  Secondary proof includes things like property tax statements, W-2 showing legal residence, correspondence from Social Security Office or other government agencies, and employment records within the last 30 days.

A: Some districts may allow for temporary enrollment prior to having all necessary proof of residence for military students.  Contact your district or school enrollment office to determine if this is possible.

A: Some of the local utilities may be able to provide you with a record of residence prior to your first bill to serve as proof of residence.  Contact your utility directly to inquire about this option.

A: Alabama requires a full immunization record transcribed onto the state form, known as the Alabama Certificate of Immunization (sometimes called the Blue Card).  This process can be accomplished by the 42MDG or at the Alabama Dept of Health.  This form is required as part of school, Head Start, or day care enrollment (off base) and should be accomplished as early as possible upon arrival. 

Mandatory Immunization Law -- Each child enrolled in day care, Head Start, and public or private school in Alabama must have a valid Alabama Certificate of Immunization on file at the facility that they attend. The certificate may be obtained from the physician or clinic that administers the vaccine or may be completed by any county health department in the state if the parent presents a vaccine record from the provider. For students who are moving to Alabama, out of state vaccine records must be transferred to the Alabama Certificate of Immunization prior to enrollment in day care, Head Start, or school entry. This may be accomplished by taking a vaccine record from the provider to the local county health department, or if a physician in Alabama has been chosen by the family, the record may be transposed by the physician. 

The State of Alabama does not recognize philosophical, moral or ethical exemption from vaccination. A medical exemption may be used by a physician or an Alabama Certificate of Religious Exemption may be obtained from the local county health department. Attendees of day care and Head Start must be age-appropriately vaccinated against Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Haemophilus Influenza Type B, Polio, and Chickenpox.

NOTE:  There is currently no information regarding COVID-19 vaccination requirements.

A: School sports generally require a yearly physical for each athlete who wants to participate, along with other registrations forms.  For information about your child’s specific requirements please contact the appropriate organization early to ensure completion by applicable cut-off dates. There is an Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children that requires local schools to allow military dependents to receive consideration and participate in a special tryout.

Alabama High School Athletic Association (7th-12th Grades):

Important Note: It is important to understand local eligibility requirements for those students seeking to participate in school sports as some situations may require a student to be ineligible to represent their school for periods of up to a year.

A: Maxwell Clinic offers the following services:

  • Primary Care – Trainees, Family Health, Flight Medicine, Pediatrics, Women’s Health
  • Behavioral Health
  • Chiropractor
  • Dental Clinic & Laboratory
  • Radiology
  • Immunizations & Laboratory
  • Optometry
  • Pharmacy
  • Physical Therapy

A: The majority of students will have a PCM as part of Trainee Health, while flyers will fall under Flight Medicine, even in student status. 

A: As Maxwell has limited specialty services as a clinic, most specialty care is referred off base to local area practices.  Since the Montgomery region is also relatively small, some services have very long wait times or limited provider options.  Please ask your current PCM or EFMP office as necessary to work a referral early to reduce wait times when you arrive.

Students or families seeking additional options may be able to ask for a referral to the University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB) Medicine or MultiCare Auburn Medical Center.  These options are about 1.5 hours away from Maxwell AFB but may provide faster access to care.