Colonel Damian Schlussel is the Commander, Thomas N. Barnes Center for Enlisted Education. In this role he provides leadership for all aspects of enlisted education affecting 432,000 total force personnel, including Airman Leadership Schools, NCO Academies (stateside), Senior NCO Academy, Community College of the Air Force, Air Force Enlisted Heritage Research Institute, Enlisted PME Instructor Course and Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course.
Colonel Schlussel entered the Air Force in 1998 after graduating with military distinction from the United States Air Force Academy. He is a career security forces officer and has held positions at the squadron, group, wing, major command, Headquarters Air Force, and the Joint Staff, including four previous command tours. He has deployed supporting Operations Iraqi Freedom/New Dawn, Enduring Freedom and CJTF Horn of Africa. Colonel Schlussel has also served as an executive officer for the assistant deputy chief of staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support.
He is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Academy (Session 231) and holds numerous professional local, state and federal certifications including: Basic and Intermediate Special Weapons and Tactics, Tactical and Advanced Rappelling, Distraction Devices, Chemical Munitions, Less than Lethal Use of Force, Tactical Explosive Entry, and Incident Command.
Prior to assuming this position, he was the deputy director of Logistics, Civil Engineering, Force Protection and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
1998 Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1998 Security Forces Officer Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2001 Air Base Defense Command Course, Sembach Annex, Germany
2002 EUCOM Antiterrorism/Force Protection Program Manager’s Course, Sembach Annex, Germany
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 NATO Nuclear Surety Management, Oberamergau, Germany
2006 Advanced Security Forces Officer, Lackland AFB, Texas
2007 Masters of Arts in Security Management, American Military University
2007 FBI National Academy Session # 231; Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice, University of Virginia
2010 Masters of Military Studies, USMC Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
2012 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Advanced Nuclear Concepts, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2015 Accident Investigations Board President Course, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
2017 Masters of Strategic Military Studies, concentration in Weapons of Mass Destruction, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
2019 Nuclear Weapons Incident Response Training (Domestic), Kirtland AFB, N.M.
1. 1998-2000 Shift Commander, Contending Warrior Team Captain, Emergency Services Team Commander, Convoy Commander, Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty Escort, Assistant Operations Officer, 2nd Security Forces Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
2. 2001-2003 Flight Commander, Combat Ready Forces OIC, Joint Special Tactics and Assault Team OIC, Wing Antiterrorism/Force Protection OIC, Security Forces Training OIC, 31st Security Forces Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
3. 2003-2004 Operations Officer, 31st Security Forces Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
4. 2004-2005 Executive Officer and FP Commander, 732nd and 586th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadrons, Camp Bucca, Iraq.
5. 2005-2007 Branch Chief, Force Protection Operations and Chief, Nuclear Security, HQ USAFE Security Forces, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. 2007-2007 Commander, 27th Security Forces Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
7. 2007-2009 Commander, 27th Special Operations Security Forces Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
8. 2009-2010 Student, United States Marine Corp Command and Staff College, Quantico Marine Base, Va.
9. 2010-2011 Commander, 380th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Southwest Asia
10. 2011-2013 Program Element Monitor and Integrated Base Defense IPT Lead, HQ USAF Security Forces, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. 2013-2014 Executive Officer, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. 2014-2016 Commander, 31st Security Forces Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
13. 2016-2017 Student, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. 2017-2019 Presidential Strike Advisor, Assistant Deputy Director for Operations and Chief of Operations, National Military Command Center, J3, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. 2019-2021 Commander, 90th Security Forces Group, F. E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
16. 2021-2022 Chief, Security Forces Division, Directorate of Logistics, Civil Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. 2022-2023 Deputy Director of Logistics, Civil Engineering, Force Protection and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
18. 2023-pres Commander, Thomas N. Barnes Center for Enlisted Education, Maxwell Air Force Base -Gunter Annex, Ala.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS:
1. 2017-2018 Presidential Strike Advisor and Assistant Deputy Director for Operations, National Military Command Center, J3, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. 2018-2019 Chief of Operations, National Military Command Center, J3, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with N device and oak leaf cluster
NATO Medal for Operations over the Former Yugoslavia
Air Force Excellence in Shooting Competition Bronze Medal (Pistol)
2003 Ritchie Leadership Excellence and Outstanding Contributor Awards, Squadron Officer School
2003 USAFE Security Forces Company Grade Officer of the Year
2004 DoD Antiterrorism/Force Protection Program of the Year (Program Manager)
2005 HQ USAFE Company Grade Officer of the Year
2005 Higher Headquarters Air Force Outstanding Security Forces Officer of the Year
2008/9 AFSOC Outstanding Medium Security Forces Squadron of the Year (Commander)
2009 27th Special Operations Mission Support Group Squadron of the Year (Commander)
2010 Honorable Order of Saint Barbara (Honorary Military Society of the Army Air Defense and Field Artillery)
2013 Citizen Life Saver Award (Fairfax County Fire Rescue)
2014 31st Mission Support Group Squadron of the year (Commander)
2014 USAFE Outstanding Large Security Forces Squadron of the Year (Commander)
DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 1998
First Lieutenant 2000
Lieutenant Colonel 2012 (BPZ)
Colonel 2018 (frocked)
(Current as of Jul 2023)