PRINT | E-MAIL
Brig. Gen. Evan Pettus is the Commandant, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama. Air Command and Staff College is the world’s premier in-residence and distance-learning professional military education college for mid-career officers and civilians, which focuses on the education and development of air-minded joint leaders. Air Command and Staff College graduates about 500 residents and over 9,000 nonresident students from all U.S. military services, federal agencies and 65 partner nations each year.
Brig. Gen. Pettus earned his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1994. He graduated from Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard AFB, Texas, and was first stationed at Royal Air Force Lakenheath, U.K., as an F-15E pilot. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and is a command pilot with more than 2,600 hours in the T-37 Tweet, T-38 Talon, AT-38 Talon and F-15E Strike Eagle. He has flown combat missions in operations Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Allied Force, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
Prior to assuming this assignment, Brig. Gen. Pettus was the Commander of the 48th Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath, where he led approximately 4,500 active duty military members and 1,000 U.S. and U.K. civilians, conducting and supporting combat operations utilizing three fighter squadrons and two rescue squadrons. His staff experiences include serving as the Chief of the Commander’s Action Group for U.S. Air Forces in Europe and as the Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff for Operations for U.S. Forces Korea.
1994 Bachelor’s in Aeronautical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master’s in Business Administration, Bellevue University, Neb.
2004 F-15E Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master’s in Logistics Sciences, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2013 Master’s in Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, N.C.
2018 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. August 1994 - October 1995, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. October 1995 - April 1996, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. April 1996 - December 1996, Student, F-15E Formal Training Unit, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. December 1996 - January 2000, F-15E Pilot, Mission Planning Officer and Assistant Chief of Training, 492nd Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, U.K.
5. January 2000 - January 2002, Air Liaison Officer, 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division, Friedberg Army Installation, Germany
6. January 2002 - July 2004, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
7. July 2004 - December 2004, Student, F-15E Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. December 2004 - August 2005, Chief, Wing Combat Training, 366th Operations Support Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
9. August 2005 - March 2006, Chief, Wing Weapons and Tactics, 3rd Operations Support Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
10. March 2006 - April 2007, Director of Operations, 90th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
11. April 2007 - August 2008, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Ohio
12. August 2008 - February 2009, Assistant Director of Operations, 366th Operations Support Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
13. February 2009 - July 2009, Director of Operations, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
14. August 2009 - January 2011, Commander, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
15. March 2011 - June 2012, Chief, Commander’s Action Group, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
16. July 1012 - May 2013, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
17. August 2013 - June 2014, Vice Commander, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
18. July 2014 - July 2016, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, Operations, U.S. Forces Korea
19. July 2016 - July 2018, Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
20. July 2018 - present, Commandant, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,600
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38 and F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major July 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2013
Brigadier General July 31, 2019
(Current as of August 2019)
55 LeMay Plaza South
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6335
Tweets by HQAirUniversity Follow @HQAirUniversity