Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL
/ Published February 25, 2020
BLUF: Deadline for Exception to Policy (ETP) packages are due 10 duty days prior to day one of class. The "end enrollment" deadline for SOS Classes is on the SOS Home Page and see the deadlines for each upcoming class.
1. IAW the SOS Exception to Policy Checklist, Exception to Policy (ETP) packages shall be submitted to SOC/ODP Org Mailbox, SOC.ODP@us.af.mil. Again, this is due 0730 CST 10 duty days prior to day one of class. Any packages submitted after this deadline may be rejected but will be reviewed on a case by case basis after 2 Jan 2019.
2. IAW SOC Enrollment Policy, Section 2., c., At 0730 CST 14 days prior to Class Start Date, the "end enrollment" date is effective and final. This will allow TRQI managers to make changes without coordination with SOC/ODP until the end enrollment date.
Direct all questions on these deadlines to SOC/ODP at DSN 493-3231, or email at SOC.ODP@us.af.mil.
Students attending SOS need to understand that compliance with the below eligibility requirements is mandatory and is the primary responsibility of the member. Training managers should assist in the process but each student must ensure that they have followed all the reporting instructions and that they have an approved Exception to Policy (ETP) as necessary. Training Managers should review current SOC Enrollment Policy and current SOS Reporting Guide. Timelines under the policy are mandatory. When an ETP is granted the member will receive an e-mail confirmation that they have approval to proceed to SOS. The member should not proceed without this confirmation. Anyone who arrives without being approved will be sent back at the unit's expense and their commander will be notified of the failure to follow proper procedures.
Students attending SOS are expected to be in top physical condition and should expect to complete a weekly 5K run, a 10K at the end of the course, and other strenuous activities including climbing, lifting, and hoisting one's body weight, in the central Alabama weather conditions.
Exceptions are further clarified in the Exceptions to Policy Explained.
****Expiration Fitness Assessment Due to Deployment of 90+ days****
Students with an expired PT Test who will attend SOS within 42 days after returning from a deployment of over 90 days MUST request an ETP waiver and receive written approval to use the expired score. Students who have been home more than 42 days are NOT eligible to request an ETP.
***Completed Waivers Form MUST be submitted to SOS Student Services NO LATER THAN 10 duty days PRIOR to class start date (see "SOS HOME" webpage for class start dates/ETP due dates).*** Any submission received after the cutoff date will be disapproved.
***All ETP Waivers MUST Be Signed By Your Home Station Wing Commander (or equivalent)***
ETP are required for PT test exemptions, profiles, and waivers. See chart below:
Current PT test has exemptions
Yes, regardless of the reason for the exemption an ETP is required.
Expired PT test due to Deployment
Yes, if attending SOS within 42 days after returning from a deployment over 90 day must submit an ETP.
Medical Profile for physical activity
Medical Profile for Pregnancy
- Regular OBGYN care or appointments are not available through Maxwell clinic.
- Discuss with your doctors about attending the course without OB care.
- After Day 1, plan a time to speak with training health at the clinic to discuss SOS event participation.
- Some events pose a higher risk due to pregnancy.
Medical Profile for post-partum
Yes, in your ETP, define what you can and can't do.
Medical Profile with mobility restrictions
No, not required if your profile is only for mobility restrictions and you are able to and not restricted from; running, doing push-ups and doing sit-ups.
Total Active Federal Service Commitment
If in doubt, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Describe your situation and attach available documentation; AF-469, AFMS Fit Report
ANG and AFRC students should consult the SOS Reporting Guide as well as the lodging and finance information on the SOS website Lodging and Finance Information. Ensure that your orders authorize partial per diem, per the JTR.
Please contact the AU Reserve Advisor at DSN 493-3290, or Commercial, 334-953-3290 if you have any additional questions. For questions regarding the Guard officer PME please contact DSN 493-3060, or Commercial, 334-953-3060. For questions regarding orders, you may contact 908 FSS/FSO: DSN 493-9185 or Commercial 334-953-9185.
Per Air University Instruction 36-2315, if a TDY student reports for a course and is found to be ineligible due to failure to meet ANY eligibility requirements without an ETP, the student will be returned to his or her unit at the parent unit's expense.
125 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112