HomeAU PressArticle Display
Air University Press Banner

AU Press FAQs


Do I have to be at Maxwell to receive the free publications?

Our publications are available to everyone at no cost in electronic formats.

Do you have "The Little Brown Book"? 

It is not our publication. AFI 36-2618, Enlisted Force Structure, is commonly called "The Little Brown Book." AFIs and many other Department of the Air Force publications such as AFH 33-337, The Tongue and Quill, are available from Air Force e-Publishing.

Can you send me copies of The Military Commander and the Law?

The Military Commander and the Law is available from The Air Force Judge Advocate General's Corps.

Can I order Air Force doctrine documents (AFDD)? 

AU Press does not publish AFDDs. They are available through the LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education.



What kinds of publications does AU Press publish?

We publish texts on airpower, space power, and cyber power for national security. More specifically, we are interested in the kinds of topics in the Air University Research Topics List.

How can I publish with AU Press? 

Please refer to AU-1, Air University Style and Author Guide, page 199, the "Air University Press Author Guide." The author guide contains information about AU Press policies and procedures.

I am not in the Air Force, but I have a manuscript I'd like to submit. Would it be considered? 


Can you publish my paper even though it has been published before?

Under certain conditions. Please contact AU Press at aupress@us.af.mil

Are all your authors in the military?

No. Knowledgeable civilian authors are welcome to submit manuscripts for consideration. The Publications Review Board decides which book manuscripts we publish.

Do all your authors attend school at Maxwell?




Can you provide books on the CSAF Reading List?

Most books on the chief of staff's reading list come from commercial publishing houses. Copies are available from book sellers and in libraries.

I'm getting ready to enroll in ACSC or AWC. Can you send me the course books?

You will need to contact ACSC/AWC about course books.

I lost my course books during my last move. I remember getting most of them from you. Can you replace them for me?

AU Press publications are available as PDFs from our website.

Do you have the books I will need for PME?

Please contact the schools. If any AU Press books are on their lists, you can download PDF copies from our website.

I would like to obtain the Strategic Studies Quarterly.

Please visit the Strategic Studies Quarterly website.

I would like to obtain the Air & Space Power Journal.

Please visit the Air & Space Power Journal website.

USAF Comments Policy
If you wish to comment, use the text box below. AF reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.

This is a moderated forum. That means all comments will be reviewed before posting. In addition, we expect that participants will treat each other, as well as our agency and our employees, with respect. We will not post comments that contain abusive or vulgar language, spam, hate speech, personal attacks, violate EEO policy, are offensive to other or similar content. We will not post comments that are spam, are clearly "off topic", promote services or products, infringe copyright protected material, or contain any links that don't contribute to the discussion. Comments that make unsupported accusations will also not be posted. The AF and the AF alone will make a determination as to which comments will be posted. Any references to commercial entities, products, services, or other non-governmental organizations or individuals that remain on the site are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. These references are not intended to reflect the opinion of the AF, DoD, the United States, or its officers or employees concerning the significance, priority, or importance to be given the referenced entity, product, service, or organization. Such references are not an official or personal endorsement of any product, person, or service, and may not be quoted or reproduced for the purpose of stating or implying AF endorsement or approval of any product, person, or service.

Any comments that report criminal activity including: suicidal behaviour or sexual assault will be reported to appropriate authorities including OSI. This forum is not:

  • This forum is not to be used to report criminal activity. If you have information for law enforcement, please contact OSI or your local police agency.
  • Do not submit unsolicited proposals, or other business ideas or inquiries to this forum. This site is not to be used for contracting or commercial business.
  • This forum may not be used for the submission of any claim, demand, informal or formal complaint, or any other form of legal and/or administrative notice or process, or for the exhaustion of any legal and/or administrative remedy.

AF does not guarantee or warrant that any information posted by individuals on this forum is correct, and disclaims any liability for any loss or damage resulting from reliance on any such information. AF may not be able to verify, does not warrant or guarantee, and assumes no liability for anything posted on this website by any other person. AF does not endorse, support or otherwise promote any private or commercial entity or the information, products or services contained on those websites that may be reached through links on our website.

Members of the media are asked to send questions to the public affairs through their normal channels and to refrain from submitting questions here as comments. Reporter questions will not be posted. We recognize that the Web is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage federal resources, moderating and posting of comments will occur during regular business hours Monday through Friday. Comments submitted after hours or on weekends will be read and posted as early as possible; in most cases, this means the next business day.

For the benefit of robust discussion, we ask that comments remain "on-topic." This means that comments will be posted only as it relates to the topic that is being discussed within the blog post. The views expressed on the site by non-federal commentators do not necessarily reflect the official views of the AF or the Federal Government.

To protect your own privacy and the privacy of others, please do not include personally identifiable information, such as name, Social Security number, DoD ID number, OSI Case number, phone numbers or email addresses in the body of your comment. If you do voluntarily include personally identifiable information in your comment, such as your name, that comment may or may not be posted on the page. If your comment is posted, your name will not be redacted or removed. In no circumstances will comments be posted that contain Social Security numbers, DoD ID numbers, OSI case numbers, addresses, email address or phone numbers. The default for the posting of comments is "anonymous", but if you opt not to, any information, including your login name, may be displayed on our site.

Thank you for taking the time to read this comment policy. We encourage your participation in our discussion and look forward to an active exchange of ideas.